It was only a matter of time. I’ve had two Pi boards sat around for a while now; so long, in fact, that they’re both the 256MB Model B types and weren’t made in Wales. This summer, as part of the annual revamp in our studios, the much-neglected information screen finally bobbed high enough up on the to-do list to be in danger of actually getting done. Combine that with a collection of retired portrait-capable plasma screens in the basement and we’ve got ourselves a project!
What started this all off was the buzz there had been around Panic’s latest offering: Status Board. What I found a little uncomfortable was the fact that you needed to dedicate an iPad to the job, which just seemed downright weird. I’m up to my ears in old Macs, but iPads are rather more difficult to find without being attached to a protective owner. Nevertheless, there was an option for having one that shouldn’t have needed to be unplugged and used elsewhere too often, so I hurried off and bought Status Board.
Weighing The Options
I quickly realised that while Status Board may be a great app in the right environment, to do the kind of thing I had in mind would mean writing most of the code myself anyway. There is, of course, no magic button that creates displays for monitoring studios. When you add to that the extra fee for HDMI output (which is galling enough without having to be reminded about it every time you use AirPlay for the output), plus the cost of an iPad HDMI converter and the fact that the display was standard-def and only had VGA and composite inputs; it was a non-starter.